Thursday, January 12, 2006

scattered thoughts from a sad mommy


I'm worried about Trey. In the past 2 weeks, he's called me three times because he's forgotten things he's needed for school. Luckily, in all 3 cases, I was able to bring it to him almost immediately, but I know that won't always be the case. Normally, he is not that scattered, so I know this is a new development.

According to websites on grief in children, this is a normal reaction to the loss of a loved one. I realize he has to go through all these stages in order to work through his grief, but oh my goodness, it is breaking my heart to watch him struggle like this. The MOM in me wants to hold him close, kiss him and make the pain go away, but the PROFESSIONAL me knows he needs to process his feelings in order to move on. The hard part is knowing WHEN to be MOM and when to be grief counselor....

I've decided to make a scrapbook and have Trey help me...I'll give him some pictures and let him make a page or two (or as many as he wants). I'll probably let Kyle make some too, even though I really don't think he comprehends that Grandma is no longer with us. But it can't hurt ---- I take a lot of pictures so I know I can find some good ones. I made a dvd of pictures of the boys with both sets of grandparents for Christmas, so I can pull a few pictures off of that if necessary, but I have a bunch of others also.

Trey and I are reading a book about forgetting a grandparent when they die. We're just getting started, so I don't know how it will turn out, but so far so good.....


You know, it's just not fair!!! Eddie and I both have grandmothers who are in their 80s or 90s. Why did my boys have to lose one of their grandmothers at only 65??? That's way too young to die---there is so much she will miss.....graduations, weddings, their first car, the birth of Trey's or Kyle's first child.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Yep, way too young... and it must be tough to see your sweet Trey struggling like this. But it sounds like you're doing the right things, Robin, to help him work through his feelings but also, to remember his Grandma. Thinking of you all, and praying more...