Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Our Day at the Rodeo...

You can't live in Texas without the annual trip to the rodeo......the one time all year to get out the old ropers and dust off the cowboy hat. Of course in our case, since none of us wear boots normally, the thought of walking around the carnival midway and all over the stadium grounds in tight-fitting, toe pinching boots is enough to make you want to run for the hills. So we get on our jeans and brightly colored cowboy shirts, dig out the bandanas & western jewelry...and then slip into our comfy nikes for the day.

For the boys, part of the attraction is riding on the "big bus" from the park&ride to the stadium. I don't think T was as impressed this year, especially since we got Metro buses insteqad of the fancy coaches that we normally get to ride. K, though, thought it was really something to ride on "Daddy's bus".

This year, since K is now potty trained (YAY!!!!), we had to make many stops to the outdoor potty houses. YUCK and DOUBLE YUCK! Even K was too grossed out to go in them after a while, so we ended up making several trips into the area where all the shopping was just so we could use a "clean potty." He was so funny---the first time we went inside to the potty, he yelled out very loudly, "mommy--this is a keen potty...there's no yucky poopys in here at all!" Ya gotta love a 3 year old---they tell it like it is!

We went to see Martina McBride. She did a great show, but I had never realized how many of her songs deal with domestic abuse. She's definitely a spokesperson for the downtrodden woman. I was disappointed that she didn't sing her new song "In My Daughter's Eyes." I love the song, even though I'll never have a daughter of my own. sigh

K HATED the fireworks...as soon as the first one went up, he hid his face in my elbow and never looked up for the entire concert. The funny thing is he didn't like the loud booms, but instead of covering his ears, he covered his eyes....

When we left the carnival, K looked like an abuse case himself...he climbed out of the stroller and scraped his belly on something on the side of the stroller. He has a scratch that's probably 4.5 or 5 inches long. I had to put a "bambaid" on it as soon as we got home. Luckliy one was sufficient, because if I'd had to cover the whole scratch, it would have taken several "bambaids". He also came home with a huge ropeburn around his eye that bruised and gave him a black eye. He was climbing on the rope ladder and somehow scraped his face. Good thing I'd gone the day before to get Easter pictures done! LOL

I always enjoy these days, where we get to just relax and have fun as a family. It seems like they are few and far between lately, so I always treasure the times we do get. I realize once the boys are older it will get even harder to schedule family days, so I'm trying to make the most of them now while they're young.




No comments: